Sunday, February 28, 2010

Couldn't put it down... literally

***Warning***plot spoilers***don't read unless you want to know what happens in the book

Okay, I just have to say first of all, that I literally read this in 5 days straight, which is saying a lot for how crazy busy I am (the same as the rest of you, I realize), but I just couldn't put it down. When I had to go to work, I had my Kindle read it to me in the car, lol. First of all, I thought that the relationship between Noel Strachan and Jean was very weird. And I understand it at the same time. She didn't have anyone else in the world to turn to, so he became his family, and he didn't have much by way of family either, so they suited one another. But all the same, I thought it was interesting how much detail she shared with him about EVERYTHING. And how he basically wished he was younger to have married her himself... I don't know, it gave me the creeps.

I also didn't necessarily love the narrator's voice. I understand that's how Mr. Strachan was tied into the book best, but he reported on everything in such an impassive, unfeeling way. In some parts of the book, I appreciated that, because it would have been way too graphic if it had been too emotional and/or descriptive, but in other parts of the book, it drove me crazy that he just reported on people dying and being beaten as if it was just a walk in the park.

I thought Jean's role in a male-dominated society was very interesting. She obviously learned how to be diplomatic enough to get what she wanted out of everyone, but in a sincere way still, but the part that really struck me was how she was coming in to Malaya after the war to pay for and put up a well and washing hut for the women, and yet she had to jump through all the hoops and make it seem like it was the men's idea and get permission before she could move forward. In some ways, I don't think this has changed much in our society... we all know certain people, men or women, who we have to butter up and sweet talk to get what we want out of them (or maybe it's just me with the University politicking I live with day to day). And I thought it was a very telling comment about the culture of that society that the men were wondering if they had done a bad thing by allowing the women to have something that caused so much laughter.

Mostly throughout the book, I just kept thinking about how every hard thing we do, helps prepare us and teach us valuable lessons. In most cases we wouldn't be able to do what we do if we didn't have some kind of difficult experience to prepare ourselves for what we are asked to do. I have a friend who has gone through an almost literal hell with her husband for the past two years, and has been wondering, why? Why me? What am I supposed to learn from this if anything? She recently was appointed to a fairly large leadership opportunity and is going to be over about 20 faculty members who are all strong-willed and who tend to fight amongst each other. I talked to her the other day, and she was just in awe because she just had realized that day that she was prepared to take on this new assignment because she had learned so much in the past few years about conflict management and resolution, among other things. It has given me a greater resolve to try to learn the lessons I am supposed to at the time of my most difficult situations with a happy heart, realizing that I will be better for it. I thought that this was one of the main points of this book. It was just very interesting to see how Jean turned her horrific experience in the war into a very happy and profitable life afterward. Not that she would wish it upon herself again, but she was just very practical in applying the lessons she learned, almost like Dashti, just very matter-of-fact.

Sorry this is so lengthy, but I want to know....What did you gals get out of the book? Anything that really stuck with you?

10 comments:

  1. I loved Town Like Alice! I read it a long, long time ago, so don't remember a lot of the details, but it has stuck with me! There was a movie made of it a long time ago too, that was really good starring Brian Brown (?? can't remember for sure). It seemed like two different novels to me, and sometimes I think of them as different stories, then remember they were in one book. I loved her strength and determination, and eventual triumph in both segments of her life. And you are right, the lessons she learned in the first trial helped her succeed in her second challenge. Good book; good review. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say....for some weird reason, Noel's feelings for Alice didn't bother me at all. I thought it was quite romantic and sweet. I think that he came to love her for her noble qualities, which have nothing to do with age. He also handled it well, and treated her more with a fatherly affection.

    I also wasn't bothered by the fact that he didn't tell Joe when Alice was in Australia. I thought it was an appropriate amount of protectiveness, not only thinking of his business interests, but considering how he cared about her. He gave her the information, and she had the chance to seek him out. Had he kept the information from her as well, that would have been weird.

    All in all, a good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post Shayla. I finally finished the book today! Yay! A few thoughts:

    Katie, I agree with you about Noel and Jean's relationship. I think it's very sad that in our society SO much of what people think love is- is based on sexuality. (Not that I think you were thinking only about that Shayla!) What about all the other, wonderful, enduring qualities? What about intimacy that has nothing to do with anything physical? I admit I was suprised when I read that he had fallen in love with her, but it made me think of David Copperfield and the relationship between Doctor and Annie Strong. She was remarkably his junior and yet their love was so true and so real. Maybe it was because I read that first that I didn't have such a problem with it.

    I really enjoyed the book overall.

    It started off in a way that never would have made me be able to guess the ending. Did that make sense to anyone else? I guess it was comforting to me to think about how very MUCH can happen in one person's lifetime.... that we don't have to be defined by one phase, and that there is room for so much more. I appreciated what you said Shay about learning from the hard times and using what you learned in future experiences. And I guess it was just great to read another reminder that those experiences DO come. (can anyone guess that we are still in the starving student phase? and that maybe we've been there longer than we are comfortable with???)anyway I don't know if that made sense to anyone else but me. Sorry.

    I also was touched with what Jean wanted to do with the money originally, and how using it to bless others lead to her own happiness in the end. Had she used it to stay in England and live fashionably things may not have panned out the same way... and I really am a sucker for stories of selfless people who are rewarded for it- even though that's not what they were seeking.

    I'm babbling today. Hope you are able to understand what I meant even if I didn't say it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I know... "enough out of you lady!" I can hear you thinking... but I just wanted to say a word about the writing style since Shay brought it up.

    I have never cared for people writing from a "I didn't experience the story first hand... someone else told it to me." point of view. Surely there is a technical name for that but I certainly don't know what it is.

    I totally agree with what you said Shayla... it is weird that Noel would know some of the things that happened to them, and frankly it was completely unbelieveable to me to think that she DID tell him all those details... Enough that he would be able to quote dialogue and give the kind of descriptions that he did. Huh uh. I'm not buying it. I also thought that when I read Wuthering Heights, but at least the maid was IN the house when it all happened... but what about when they roamed the moors?!?

    I find it distracting to have to pick it apart like that. I just want to be able to read and not question the source. Anyone else have any thoughts about that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree the writing made it feel a bit choppy....in fact, sometimes I found myself forgetting that Noel was telling the story because of what it was talking about....and then it would jump back in with Noel....it was weird for sure.

    Talk about being surprised by the ending! Is it totally silly that I was surprised when it turned out Joe wasn't dead? I found myself thinking, "Well the title is about Alice Springs...I guess he has to come back," but I really didn't even consider the thought of someone surviving crucifiction, (sp?) like that. Do you think that made the story less believable? I still really liked it and didn't think too much about it....but was it a bit overboard?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was totally surprised that he wasn't dead too. I never even questioned it, and I gasped out loud when I read it. :) I didn't think it was overboard... he was a strong Australian manly man after all, and it's not like he made a full and miraculous recovery... he was permanently weakened.

    Another thing I forgot to say... I adored Joe and Jean's relationship. I love how they were always thinking about the needs of the other person, and how they were very sweet and supportive of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally was surprised when he didn't die as well. I gasped out loud just like Ashlee!! I agree that the narrator made the book a bit choppy. And I also adored Joe and Jean's relationship. I loved how they both sacrificed for each other in order to make it all work. It was very mature of her, I thought, to make sure he didn't give up all he had known growing up for her so that he didn't resent her for it years down the road. What a great way to start a marriage.

    Also, I want to be more specific about my feelings about Noel and Jean. Mostly what gave me a weird vibe is that she told him, and he retold in very specific detail about their intimate life (on the secluded island, and then also when he brought up that he didn't know if she took her sarong with her on her honeymoon)... if someone is thinking that much about my intimate life, it would make me feel weird... that is all I meant. Other than that, it was so nice that she could feel that she had a "family" even though she lost virtually all of her own family, and he was very good to her and filled a void in her life, and she in his. People just aren't interested in other people anymore, like they used to be. It would be nice to escape the me, me, me -ness for awhile. It is sweet how they had never met and immediately they started taking care of one another.

    I agree. I thought it was a great pick and I was glad to hear what y'all had to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. Must read David Copperfield.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ash, I love you....."he was a strong Australian manly man after all.." heehee...

    Shayla, I can see now why you thought the Noel thing was weird. Like I said, I just kind of forgot he was even narrating those parts. And I agree you MUST read David Copperfield. And any other Dickens that strikes your fancy. :) Maybe for December we should read A Christmas Carol to be festive? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello everyone! I'm new. I want to say first, thanks for the welcome in the email. I'm very glad to be part of this book group! Warning: my post is long, I started writing and couldn't quite stop. Sorry!

    I have really enjoyed this book. Like Shay I was a little creeped out with Noel falling in love with Jean. I felt bad that Noel was so lonely, and Jean as well, but I was a little anxious as their "dates" increased and especially when he revealed his love for her, but it never turned into anything and so I was comfortable reading further. I think their relationship couldn't have been handled better considering their circumstances.

    I also enjoyed reading about the effects of WWII in a part of the world that was not Europe. I hate to admit but I didn't know really anything about the death march in Malay til I read this book. Wow! I was very impressed with Jean's ability to endure all of the sickness and death, and do it with an eye of hope. I liked how she wasn't too proud to become like the Malay women and do good wherever she was, and especially to choose to go back to Asia to build a well. I couldn't help but paint a sort of Mother Theresa-esque picture of her in my mind. She was very unselfish.

    Not even half-way through the book we find out Joe died and I, too, was shocked! I thought I had misread because I was sleepy or something. I knew though, that somehow he'd be brought back--he had to!

    I agree, having Noel be the narrator didn't quite make sense in parts--there's no way Jean could have written/told him all those details. However, it seemed to me to transition well from the narration being clearly Noel (the letter writing, and the interactions in England) to the more omniscient Noel (the march in Malay and their weekend on the island :) ). I don't know, it didn't make sense, but I thought it worked.

    My husband caught me smiling and gasping at parts and he said, "I hope you're not falling in love with Joe," and I told him that that was definitely not the case. I was just very able to identify with their sweet relationship! I love that I can think to my own life experiences and really feel what other people are feeling and experiencing in books or in real life. If anything, I fell in love with my husband over again by reading about Jean and Joe's relationship--their unconditional love.

    That's all! I hope to read March's book . . . we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?