Saturday, April 2, 2011

Aaaaaaand... we're back!

Hi Everyone!  (Is anyone still there?)  I'm sorry for my unintentional Sabbatical from Book Club activity! I had some family issues and had to pare our activities down to the very bare minimum in order to get through the days, but I am ready to come back to my previous life!

I am putting together a list of upcoming reads, and was wondering if you had any suggestions?  I thought we'd start out super easy in coming back from the break with a short read.  I found the suggestion in the Daring Book for Girls under the heading of "Books that all girls should read" and it looks pretty good (and short!)

If you are interested in continuing with the Book Club, the April book will be:

Behind Rebel Lines: The Incredible Story of Emma Edmonds, Civil War Spy

What else should we put on the Docket?

3 comments:

  1. I just finished a great book. "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption". It is intense. I couldn't put it down at times. Parts of it are hard to read because of the abuse and degredation that these war heros had to endure. It is a book that should be read as most of these men that survived World War II are passing on in great numbers and before we know it, that whole generation that has been called "The greatest generation" will be gone. What they lived through to protect our freedom should never be forgotten. It also gives us more appreciation for the men and women who are fighting right now for those same freedoms. The book is very well written by Laura Hildebrandt (?) about an incredible man named Louis Zamperini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbroken is a good read! I have just now stumbled upon your blog, so I am not sure what you have read before this. So here a few suggestions that I hope you have not read yet:

    The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

    The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

    The Help by Kathryn Stockett

    Rachel's Tears: The Spiritual Journey of Columbine Martyr Rachel Scott by Darrell Scott and Beth Nimmo.

    13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

    The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

    Just a few I have read lately and really liked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I saw that you have read The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis. I would also recommend The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. I recently saw a Broadway rendition of The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. Very good! But, it was mentioned at the end that they were working on The Great Divorce to present soon.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?