Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hello?

Am I allowed to start posting now?

I figure it's almost the end of the month and we ought to get this party started!

I've never belonged to an actual book club before so I hope I am not totally showing my inexperience as I start the discussion. If I do it wrong please let me know.

Okay I would like to know: For you, what was the most meaningful and touching person that he met and also if there were any that fell flat for you that you thought their lesson could have been better...

On your marks.... get set.... discuss!

-Ashlee

1 comment:

  1. Okay, here goes...

    I loved the beginning of the book... I thought his first three people were great, and I was so excited about the book I was telling everyone about it. I loved the first few lessons and the way they were delivered. My favorite especially was what the captain taught him... It just resonated with me. Up until now I thought of sacrifice as something to endure, but I loved how he put it:

    "Sacrifice is a part of life. It's supposed to be. It's not something to regret. It's something to aspire to. Little sacrifices. Big sacrifices. A mother works so her son can go to school. A daughter moves home to take care of her sick father."

    It made me happy to be making the sacrifices I am making for my family and to stand up and be counted as one who sacrificed selflessly so that others could have a better life. I loved that lesson.

    The last two lessons, though, flopped for me. The book lost steam and the lessons weren't delivered as well... I was almost going, "ok, what was the lesson here?"

    I loved his writing style, and I thought it was a genuinely unique and well thought out book, but I felt like there were really only 3 important lessons, and then he just filled in the pages...

    I don't know... maybe everyone else feels differently, but that's how I felt.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?