Saturday, August 29, 2009

Follow Ups

I actually really enjoyed The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, but did it bug anyone else that she used so many examples of phone calls and letters of horrible ways wives treated their husbands, but then there was never any follow up to prove that the advice she gave worked for those people. The examples of the advice working always came from separate callers or letters. I guess I just like a little more resolution and the point of all the examples is not resolution (because my bet is that most of those awful examples did not make the marriage last), but to open our eyes and recognize some of the things wives can slip into doing that make for lass harmonious marriage. Sorry, I don't even know if this paragraph makes sense.

One chapter that struck home for me was about not letting yourself go and becoming a frumpy wife. I don't even have a kid as an excuse yet and I find myself never getting ready and putting cute clothes on or doing my hair and make-up anymore unless we are going to go out with someone else. And my husband should be the one I'm getting ready to impress..not other people. So does anyone have any tips on motivation for getting yourself out of a frump slump?

3 comments:

  1. If you want follow up read her next book The Proper Care and Feeding of Marriages....it has tons of examples from people who read the first book.....people coming back from really horrible stuff.

    As for the frump slump....what works for me is to have a routine...a few set things that you do first thing every morning before you can do anything else. Stick to it and it becomes a habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about that as well... I kept thinking, "ok, let's hear how it worked and if they really followed her advice!" Maybe I'll try the proper care and feeding of marriages like Katers suggested.

    As far as a frump slump, I was actually thinking a lot about this and then when I read this book it made me kick it into gear. I found myself in a public place running into people and thinking to myself, "man, why didn't I get ready today? Or why did I have to run into that person while I was dressed like this!" So even though it was more for me than it was for my husband, I started dressing better everyday even if I was sure I wasn't going to see anyone who would care if I was in sweats.

    I have felt a lot better about myself just having the confidence that at least I am dressed appropriately no matter what situation comes up, and I look decent. I am not a big makeup person so this was hard for me, but I asked my sister in law who is a HUGE makeup fanatic some advice. She introduced me to this tinted moisturizer... love it! It's by Organic Wear and it has saved me a lot of time. Now instead of moisturizing and then foundation, it's two in one and I feel like I did something for myself to look presentable. She also gave me some good eyeshadows and lip glosses. I also got some better brushes. I have been able to keep it up because it takes me less than 30 minutes from the time I roll out of bed until I am dressed nicely and hair and face done. It may sound superficial, but I feel better about myself and I feel like I don't waste precious energy worrying about and thinking negative thoughts about my appearance anymore. The less negative self-talk in my life, the better, and it has made a difference even if it is a little thing.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?