Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Anne Of Green Gables

Hello All!

I keep a personal blog in addition to being a contributor here... as I am assuming is the case with most of you... anyhow... Shayla, our dear book-club-leader, asked me to re-post on this blog one that I recently did on my personal blog. Since I-love-her-so I am doing it now. I have much more to say on this subject and hope that we can generate some good discussion. Anyone else read Anne? There is so much to discuss with her. Without further ado... my post:

(Originally Posted HERE on Nov 24, 2009)

I finished reading book #6 in the Anne of Green Gables tonight.

It's entitled Anne of Ingleside.

I must tell you that I am positively smitten with these wholesome and delightful books. I know I use the word "lovely," a lot. Perhaps I throw it out there a bit too frequently, but I assure you that if anything ever deserved the word... these books do.

They are so refreshingly joyful, clean, and lovely.

Anne of Ingleside is set when the young, dreamy, and wide eyed Anne has grown up. She's married and starts the novel with five children. She encompasses so much of what I want to be as a mother and I admit I am envious of the unsullied, simple and romantic world that she gets to raise her darlings in. I wish I could give my own darlings such an enchanting, safe and respectful world to grow up in.


Can I share a few quotes that touched me to tears?

"A sort of moonlit rapture was running through the trees in the Hollow. Anne could even laugh... with a quiver behind the laughter... over their panic of an hour ago and Aunt Mary Maria's absurd suggestions and goulish memories. Her child was safe... Gilbert was somewhere battling to save another child's life... Dear God, help him and help the mother... help all the mothers everywhere. We need so much help, with the little sensitive loving hearts and minds that look to us for guidance and love and understanding."

"..."I should have found out what was troubling her. But I've been too much taken up with other things this week... things that really mattered nothing compared to a child's unhappiness. Think of what the poor darling has suffered." She stooped repentantly, gloatingly over them. They were still hers... wholly hers, to mother and love and protect. They still came to her with every love and grief of their little hearts. For a few years longer they would be hers... and then? Anne shivered. Motherhood was very sweet... but very terrible. "I wonder what life holds for them," she whispered."

This week I encountered some opinions which put me out a bit. They were discussing that being a wife and mother and devoting your all to that isn't good enough. That in order to make a difference in the world... or feel fulfilled... or... I'm not really sure what... you need to be more and look outside just those two little words.

It left me feeling confused and dreary.

I think this book came to me at just the right time. I really believe that Heavenly Father inspired other writers beyond the voices in the scriptures.

Due to Anne and the Ingleside Clan, and a meaningful talk with my Whitney (a more sweet voice on the purpose, duties, and joys of being a wife and mother you will be hard pressed to find)... hashing out all the details that I had been pondering... I feel much better. So so much to say and to consider on that subject but I already went through it all with Whit... I don't feel like doing it here.

Today was so beautiful. My darlings really are just that: My darlings. (Thank you Anne-girl for that term. I am stealing it and claiming it as my own forthwith and henceforth.) Today I chose to let myself revel in the blessing it is to be their mommy and my glass was completely and utterly overflowing. How could I ever have let myself be so bothered? I know there is no place on earth I would rather be or that could make me happier or bring me more fulfillment than in my own home with Corey, Jack and Alaster. What a wonderful thought.

***I realize that I comment a very sensitive subject this evening. I know there are plenty of good women who are able to, and choose to do more... Please know that I am not trying to counter-demean them, or take away from their many accomplishments and contributions. Isn't it wonderful that Heavenly Father has such unique and wonderful plans for each of His children?***

2 comments:

  1. Thank-you for those quotes. I read the whole series years ago and am a huge fan. Recently I thought I should start the series over but haven't done it yet. For Christmas my sweetie gave me a kindle loaded with about 60 books and included was the whole Anne Series. I think it is time to revisit Anne and enjoy them all over again with my new toy. I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to read them!! I also have it on my kindle. add it to the list to-read

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?