Thursday, December 3, 2009

Bluestockings

First of all, I have to say that I loved the witty and charming letters in this book. Nobody writes like this anymore! Now you can take a picture with your cell phone, and email it to someone, but I love the description of the Island and everything else. What a lost art! I must admit that my emails got a little bit more flowery as I have been reading this book. The letters in this book reminded me about the first Mitford book, by Jan Karon, where Father Tim talks his mentor in the church handwriting letters even though he didn't really have the time to, because he was so impressed by the scripture that said that Paul wrote the letters "by his own hand".

I have a serious discussion to post about later, but I was amused at the reference to Bluestockings in both this book and in Wives and Daughters. (Bluestocking is a derogatory term for female intellectuals) In GLAPPPS (lol...great acronym), her fiance breaks up with her calling her a bluestocking because she freaks out when he tries to pack up her books and put them in the basement, and in W&D, Molly is distraught when Mrs. Gibson calls her a bluestocking for reading a Natural History book from Roger. So I'm just throwing this out there... are looks the most important thing for women still, or have we come a long way in allowing women to be intellectuals? Are things the same, or have they really changed?

All in all, loved loved loved this book and recommend it to anyone who enjoys witty and intelligent, tongue-in-cheek writing.

3 comments:

  1. I loved it also. Like you I enjoyed the style of writing and the letters. I was again reminded of our freedoms that we so take for granted everyday. How would we survive if we lost our freedom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never got to reading this book, but I will definitely keep it on my to read list after this recommendation. I probably won't be getting in the December book either. Trying to figure out this mommying is taking all my time (except I'm somehow finding time to look at a blog and comment:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. My short answer is...I think it's tons more acceptable for women to be intellectual, but honestly I think some men can still feel intimidated by it.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?