Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Casting a Late Vote

So I finally got my copy of The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (note to self: if I ever write a book... do NOT make the title more than three words... no matter how cute it sounds long) and I finished it in about 2 days. I came right to the blog to cast my vote (you know... the rate it on the sidebar that we do for all the books...) and was bummed to find the poll had been closed! I wanted to cast my 5!
What a wonderful book! There's so much I want to say about it but here are the highlights:
I want to move to an island.
I'm so glad I didn't live during WW2.
My favorite funny scene was when Isola stormed in on Juliet after reading Jane Austen and demanding "What else have you been keeping from me?!?"
There are so many loveable characters but I think my favorite was Elizabeth... followed closely by Isola and Dawsey... and Juliet.
Yay for books! Books really can change people!!! They can change the world!!!
Loved the letter/telegraph format. So romantic, so different, so cool.
Basically loved it all... the writing... the characters... the moral points... wonderful. So sweet and so entertaining.
It's probably too late to start a discussion for this book as it's almost time to start 3 cups of tea discussion... which by the by... I volunteer never to choose the book again... I like 3cups okay and I think the story is a fantastic one and very important but I seriously wish someone else had done the actual writing of the story... did anyone else have a hard time getting into it? I am almost done but I just can't seem to make myself finish! As it is my pick though I promise to do it.
In the mean time... if you didn't read The Gurnsey book: DO! It's stupendous! I vote this as our best pick thus far! Nice choice Miss Bott!

6 comments:

  1. Oh! And one more thing I forgot to put in: The most touching scene for me was when Kit revealed the contents of her box to Juliet. I loved the contents first of all... Christian's gift to Elizabeth!!!... and the fact that she showed her and how it made Juliet feel. Loved it. I think I was also particularly sensitive to the whole Kit situation having children myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I'm so glad someone else read it! I did feel like this was our best read yet, and so I was sad and I started to feel a little bit forsaken in the book club when no one responded! So I'm glad you read it and glad you liked it. I think it's one of the best that I have ever read.

    I loved loved loved how Juliet and Dawsey got engaged, but after the book was done I found myself thinking, what kind of a wedding was it? Who were the bridesmaids? Who was there? What did her dress look like? Was Kit happy? I want a sequel, but due to the unfortunate death of the author, I'll just have to imagine :)

    I loved the whole debate about marrying someone for love or money... prestige or happiness. This is a discussion that Jane Austen delivered so well, and it continues to this day. (And I did love the part about her asking What else have you been keeping from me? :)

    I thought it was just plain great writing. People don't write like this very well anymore, and usually when they do, the material is questionable at best. I thought this book was the total package, as Ashlee said. Even some of my favorite books, I know they aren't written well, but they are good stories. I just wish more people with good stories could pull it off with the grace of Ms. Shaffer. As Isola said, "I think good books ruin you for reading bad ones." This would explain why a lot of books I used to love, I just can't read anymore. And I think it's a good sign of growth. Anyone else feel this way?

    I just had to say that the part of the book that has just stuck with me since reading it, was the part where the children would go to the fences and slip the Todt workers some food, and how one older worker didn't ever take the food, he just wanted to hold the childrens' faces in his hands and touch their youth. It was such a heartwrenching part of the book, and it gave voice to how many of those islanders must have felt as they shipped their children off for who knows how long for who knows who to take care of, trusting that they would be ok, but not being able to hold them and be with them. It really has made me cherish my daughters little snuggles and kisses and loves. I have loved rocking her to sleep each night thinking how lucky I am that I get to do that for her, and knowing that it won't last forever.

    In short, I loved it. There were very few things about it that I didn't like, and I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by the way, I recorded your vote... you noticed, I'm sure, that I was the only other voter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle and I enjoyed this book too. Copies were distributed as Christmas presents to good friends. Our ancestors were war refugees from the Mexican revolution but they did not have to suffer the deprivations of the British during WWII. It was good to see how they managed to survive such hardship and come out on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Shayla! I can't even think about those poor Todt workers! It breaks my heart so much! I also had to try really hard not to think too much about how horrible it must have been for those little parents to send their children away. The line that Eben said about not being able to forgive the German's for taking away 5 years of Eli's life from him. I can't even imagine. Jack hasn't even lived for 5 years yet... what if ALL of this time I had with him had been taken in a similar way? Too painful. What would I have done if given that choice? Could I have sent my darlings away? I don't know. I can't even go there. War is so horrible.

    On a much happier note did you love the part where Kit kissed Juliets knee? That was also a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book - such a delightful easy read. I just moved to England and hoping I can make it over there ;)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?